REPORT ON WALDRON 2017 JURYING
Waldron Arts Center was held on Thursday, May 25th.
Our jurors this year were:
Curator of Works on Paper
Eskenazi Museum of Art
Indiana Arts Commission
Adjunct Professor of Photography
Department of Studio Art
Thirty-nine club members brought 106 images for consideration as follows: 29 brought 3 images, 8 brought 2 images, and 2 brought single images.
The judges selected 80 images for exhibition at the show.
Here are some of their comments:
- They wanted us to look for non-standard images – avoid the conventional.
- They were surprised there were fewer submissions this year but noticed more diverse subjects, techniques. Images were not so over-sharpened this year, but some not sharp enough.
- Some images were past the point of being a photograph.
- Strong images still make you stop – “arresting intentionality” – you can see the point of view, what the artist was thinking or trying to say.
- Some images were beyond what they would have expected from a camera club.
- They wanted to see more sport, street, portraits, etc.
- Overall, the work was stronger and the presentation was better than when these jurors had served in past years.