University Lake on IU Campus.
The lake was originally intended as a means of backup water distribution to the IU campus in 1911. At that time, water shortages forced the City of Bloomington to cancel their water contract with IU, compelling the university to create its own freshwater reservoirs. The dam was built in 1911 and made larger over time as the university wanted to increase its carrying capacity.
The dam and lake exist to this day on 16 acres and primarily serve as drainage for the IU Golf Course and surrounding forest as well as an educational center for students. The site of the former pump station still exists as a foundation, though few ruins from former structures remain.
Be aware that this outing is tentative. Please check with the Group Coordinators to verify. Times, date and location may change.